[squeak-dev] Re: What is Forking Squeak

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ofset.org
Tue Dec 9 22:03:57 UTC 2008

Where I found Squeak is dramatically failing is at the core level.
The list you have been writing is from projects at the periphery of
Squeak. All those project are forks of Squeak, and each fork is the
symptom of a difficulty for cooperation at the core level. I don't know
why, I just see as all of you the symptom.

The result is diluted energy, duplication of effort, incompatibilities,
all the badness you got from fork.

Try to imagine each Python based projects as a Python fork, you will
hardly saw that as proof of success. More like a proof of failure.

I think most of the problem come from the legacy of Squeak. Was Squeak
designed to be a plate forme to develop on top of it other software? I
don't think so. More like a great toy but it hardly scales when you want
to do serious things. Then of course the complete lack of leadership in
the  Squeak community does not help to aggregate...

Frankly I am suprised Squeak is still alive, is it? But in fact it does
not matter as there are many forks out there.