[squeak-dev] A browser for the WordNet lexical db in Smalltalk, anybody?

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Wed Dec 10 18:30:38 UTC 2008

Hi list,

has anyone started with/plans for a browser for a WordNet lexical db in
Smalltalk? I checked their Prolog formatted files,

- http://wordnet.princeton.edu/obtain

actually read them into a Squeak .image; they need only a handful of
memory MB (7.5, strings as yet not symbolized) plus less than 10MB of disk
space if gloss texts would be stored in the .changes file.

Also, if anyone already has (or had) ideas for a GUI for a WordNet browser
in Squeak please let me know (!) I cannot say I like their basic Web
interface (it has nothing that a Smalltalk browser offers)

-
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?o0=1&o1=1&r=1&s=small+talk&i=1&h=100#c

and think that can be done better for local use, for example in class
rooms (and of course when authoring documentation for Squeak ;) but,
unlikely for the OLPC because of the footprint.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

/Klaus

--
"If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it".
Albert Einstein