[squeak-dev] Waiting for 3.11 artifacts.

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 11 04:08:45 UTC 2008

[squeak-dev] Waiting for 3.11 artifacts.

>Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
>Tue Dec 9 05:54:11 UTC 2008

>Jerome Peace wrote:
>> The useful part of Edgar's point was that the 3.11 folder on the ftp site sits empty.
>>
>Please give me a bit of a break<...> and haven't
>got much done on the actual 3.11 in 6 months.

The post will prove to be a bit of a break.
Please notice the concern and attention it is generating.
Also please note I said waiting for not demanding.

The work (of producing artifacts) is not yours alone to do. And maybe it isn't the work you signed up for. So the post was for all of the community.

My curiosity wanted to find out
1) what the situation was and
2) what the community wanted to do about it.

>In actual fact I have only spent a couple of non-spare weekends on the
>actual final form of the 3.11 building bit. That is the smallest part of
>the 3.11 effort!
>
>It's a bit soon to be asking for artefacts after 2 weekends work.

Tain't asking. Waiting.

The point at which I am willing to get involved is when the image artifact appears.
This makes sense to me because an image needs only be built once.
There is no reason for me to set myself to that task too.
Once the image exist I can enjoy more bug tracking within.
And sync my repairs to the current state of the image.

>Having said that instructions on building 3.11 images were
>published on the releases list, months ago (September I think it was),
>and those scripts have been around since January last year.

That's my point. If they exist and they work then the proof would be an image existing also.
If the release team needs help in building an image then you need to make that request to the list. A lot of energetic, idealistic newbies have shown up. And if they are not interested, I know of at least one cantankerous Argentinian Rosarian who likes to build them and has asked for them to be built.

And I now see that even Andreas is willing to lend a hand to the task. The image artifact interests people in a way the other proto artifacts don't.

Well that's enough the rest of the reply will have to wait.

To sum up.
I hope you have found the outpouring of concern and offers of help in this thread a help.
The post was aimed at the community, not at you or Matthew personally.
I appreciate your abilities and spirit of service.

I am patient enough to wait until a 3.11 image is ready.
I am willing to get involved when one is available.