[squeak-dev] Freeze when exploring Dictionary with nontrivial size :(

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 17:46:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 11:05:30AM +0100, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> Hi list,

> 150'000 entries. When inspecting the dict then GC seems to get involved
> during scrolling :( even when no entry is selected.
>
> But when exploring it, the first click just consumes CPU and alt-. shows
> debugger but the .image is already frozen :(
>
> I can imagine that I'm not the first one who runs into explorer+dictionary
> freeze. Is there a cure, a fast+easy dictionary implementation for Squeak?

I don't think the dictionary is the cause of this problem,
although it is a problem. I think the problem is the fact that
explorer tries to print every entry in the dictionary, convert
it to 150,000 TreeItemMorphs (or whatever the class name is), and draw
them, even the ones that are unseen. SimpleHeiarchialListMorph
is not very smart with big lists