[squeak-dev] [OT] Multiple dispatch

Ties Stuij cjstuij at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 06:28:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 3:49 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> On 26.11.2008, at 22:38, Ties Stuij wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 3:54 AM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr <jecel at merlintec.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Given how happy he said he was to not have any disciples, he might be
>>> less than amused to find out otherwise ;-)
>>>
>>> Going to the other extreme, where everyone's opinion is equally valid,
>>> leads to situations like a guy explaining to me on comp.lang.lisp that
>>> multiple dispatch is the most important feature of OOP and so CLOS and
>>> C++ are true OO languages but Smalltalk is not.

>> I know I shouldn't react, but could you just dissect for me how Alan's
>> post, either the one before or the one after the post of yourself you
>> linked here, makes the point you're suggesting him to be making?
>>
>> Is it the 'I've no idea where I'm going with this.' part perhaps?
>

> I know I shouldn't respond, but did you read further up in the thread, where
> Alan (Crowe) described how even the "simplest" things are impossible without
> multiple dispatch, which made him despise Smalltalk on his first encounter,
> an event he recites quite colorfully, with phrases like "I found this
> incomprehensibly awful. It completely destroyed the object metaphor. [...]
>  I fled in horror from this hideous, mutilating language."

There you go, proof I shouldn't have reacted. That sounded a lot more
partisan and inflammatory. As we have come to expect from the cesspool
that is c.l.l.. One should put a big lid on it, and not open it for a
thousand years. Its noise-creating powers has even spilled over to
squeak-dev, and here's another post to prove that point. Totally out
of my control of course...

/Ties