[squeak-dev] Re: worst crash yet trying to load stuff from Packages Universe in 3.10.2....

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 06:46:53 UTC 2008

[squeak-dev] worst crash yet trying to load stuff from Packages Universe in 3.10.2....

Hi Greg,

I like your spirit of adventure.
My bug finding/creating assistant Puck thinks you do good work. :)

Sure you wouldn't like to become a mantis reporter?

***
>Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. woods at planix.ca
>Mon Dec 15 00:13:37 UTC 2008
>

>OK, one more try I thought.....
>
>I took a fresh 3.10.2-7179 image, set my preferences, opened up the
>Packages Universe, carefully selected the packages I wanted, being
>extra careful to avoid the ones that I've had problems with already,
>and started the installs......
>
>Things looked like they had finished fine, and so I tried clicking on
>the Packages Universe window again to see what it might say and
>KABOOM!  (this all retyped by hand)
>
>	***System error handling failed***
>	Original error: MessageNotUnderstood: LabelMorph class>>contents:.
>		Debugger error: MessageNotUnderstood: LabelMorph class>>contensts::
>	[] in Debugger class>>openOn:context:label:contents:fullView: {[:ex |
>self primitiveError: 'Original error: ', title asString, ', Debuge...]}
>	BlockContext>>valueWithPossibleArgs:
>	[] in MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal: {[(self tempAt: 2)
>valueWithPossibleArgs: {exception}]}
>	blockContext>>ensure:
>	MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
>	MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>signal
>	LabelMorph class(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #contents:
>	UIThemeSoftSqueak(UITheme)>>buttonLabelForText:
>	UIThemeSoftSqueak>>buttonLabelForText:
>	UIThemeSoftSqueak(UITheme)>>buttonLabelFor:

Ok. From the evidence so far.
You have gotten to the emergency evaluator
 because the debugger blew up on whatever was the original error.

The debugger blew up probably because of a misdirected message.
People tend to put in:
answer
when they meant:
^ answer.
In this case something in the Pinesoft ui enhancements
 looks like it left one out in a LabelMorph class message.
Instead of answering an instance it returned the class itself
 which had no idea what to do with an message to its instance.

Congratulations you found a bug.

Puck would like to know exactly how to recreate this failure.
 (So he can try it out on some of his "friends" :).

My curiosity would like to know why you are so ambitious as to load so much.
And I sympathize with you wanting it all to work right away. Out of the box.

What you may be slowly realizing is that all this is Beta software at best.
Test coverage in squeak is a recent thought.
Most of the software is released with prayers for its survival.
First time heavy users find the integration bugs.
That would be you.
Oldtimers, by instinct born of experience, tend to treat squeak tenderly.
As if they are walking on eggs that might break at any instant
 and give off a rotten stentch.

A sad state of affairs to be sure,
but the alternative would be a lot of unpaid work.
And the person who would take that on
 would have to have a powerful personal reason for doing so.

So far in this small community no one has shown up with that need.
Still you never know.

Leaving aside the who. Do you or anyone else out there
 have an idea of how that testing could be done?