[squeak-dev] worst crash yet trying to load stuff from Packages Universe in 3.10.2....

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Mon Dec 15 14:06:57 UTC 2008

On 15.12.2008 13:10, Ralph Johnson wrote:
> Saying "everyone is a czar" is like saying "nobody is a czar".
>
> This is not a packaging tool problem, and it is not a problem that can
> be solved with packaging tools.  Package Universe could in theory be
> used to solve this problem.  (Sake/Packages might be even better - I'm
> not knocking it - I'm just saying it is not a tool problem.)  All that
> is necessary is to make sure that every combination of things in the
> PU is tested.
>
> It is relatively easy to create your own Package Universe.  The
> original idea for PU was that each PU would have an owner, and the
> owner would make sure that everything in the PU worked together.
> However, what has happened in practice is that there are only a few
> PUs, one for each version of Squeak, and each PU has a lot of people
> who put things in it.  There is no process for making sure that
> everything is tested, so some things are tested and some things are
> not.
>
> -Ralph

"Testing can show the presence of bugs, but not their absence."  (Dijkstra)
I dream of the day when code can be read, understood, and audited.
Testing will then just confirm that we haven't made any serious blunders.
"The more bugs you find during testing, the more bugs there will be in
the shipped product. (Trygve)
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug       mailto: trygver at ifi.uio.no

Morgedalsvn. 5A         http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver

N-0378 Oslo               Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27

Norway