[squeak-dev] not everyone _can_ be a package czar!

Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. woods at planix.ca
Mon Dec 15 20:04:54 UTC 2008

On 15-Dec-2008, at 2:57 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:

> Oh, shame on me, I feel compelled to answer.  ;)
>
> IRC is fleeting, temporary, ephemeral...
> IRC is cliquey...
> IRC is messy...
> IRC is addictive...
> IRC is an old, old friend of mine.

Indeed.  IRC is not, and never has been, a good place for _anyone_ to
just hop in and ask a question, especially not a new user, and
probably not even an experienced user.  IRC channels are coffee shops,
bars, street corners, etc.  You go there to converse or proclaim.  You
don't go there for real information unless you're having a
(semi-)private conversation and discussion.  IRC channels could be
classrooms, but only with external structure and scheduling.  People
do use IRC channels as a form of Instant Messaging, i.e. in hopes of
finding their friend/mentor/support person online and listening, but
even with directed IM we all know there are tremendous limitations.

Mailing lists are infinitely better forums for questions, even though
they too have their problems.

--
					Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
					<woods at planix.ca>