[squeak-dev] Re: worst crash yet trying to load stuff from Packages Universe in 3.10.2....

Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. woods at planix.ca
Tue Dec 16 21:31:30 UTC 2008

On 16-Dec-2008, at 4:23 PM, Keith Hodges wrote:

>> The kinds of conflicts I've found are _TRIVIAL_ to find.  Just LOAD
>> EVERYTHING.  If you can't then something MUST be kicked out of the
>> PU.  Someone can fix the conflict later if they want the official
>> "release" PU to include that something.
> Unfortunately that's an unrealistic test for Package Universes.

Hopefully you mean this only in the context of what you say below.

> There are sometimes two versions of the same or similar item, e.g 3
> different Magma installations.
> Sometimes more than two versions of the same thing are present for
> various reasons.
> And finally you cant load 3 different Monticello's with Monticello.

Well as I read the design goals for PU, there were not supposed to be
multiple versions of things in a given PU now where there.  Indeed
various comments in the archives about the failure to meet this goal.

Practically though what I really meant was obviously to select just
the most recent version of everything.  That's time consuming with the
current interface, especially with the pollution of so many deprecated
versions of most packages, but not incredibly that hard to do, and I'm
sure someone who knows the PU implementation could automate it in
nearly a heartbeat.

I'm absolutely stunned that this most basic test has not been done as
the minimal go/no-go test for every official "release" PU.  Given the
emphasis in the community on unit tests it's stunning that they are
also not a go/no-go requirement for any official release too (image &
PU, of course).

The tools are there!  Why aren't they being used?

--
					Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
					<woods at planix.ca>