[squeak-dev] [fix] Request for help: TextAnchor display broken in 3.9 and newer

Tim Johnson tjohnson at iwu.edu
Thu Dec 18 22:58:03 UTC 2008

On Dec 18, 2008, at 4:38 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> Thanks, Lukas.  From what I can tell from these threads, your method
>> override was not to fix anything, but rather was just put in place
>> because
>> the method was not present.
>
> As I write in <http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/v3dot9/2006-February/000233.html
> >
> this method was present in older images, I only re-added it.

Ah, this old method[1] from v3.2 that specifically says the method is
not necessary:

!TextAnchor methodsFor: 'as yet unclassified' stamp: 'ar 12/17/2001
01:19'!
emphasizeScanner: scanner
"Do nothing for emphasizing the scanner - if the anchor is valid a
#embeddedObject will be encountered by the scanner and do the real
thing"! !

...?  You certainly didn't "re-add" *that*.  What is the use in
following a pattern if it breaks the code?

Thanks,
TimJ

[1] http://ftp.squeak.org/updates/4614TextAndFonts-ar.cs