[squeak-dev] Mantis: Product Version

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon Dec 22 17:27:19 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 17:16 +0000, Zulq Alam wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> What is the Product Version in Mantis supposed to be set to?

First of all it can simply be left blank, I don't believe it is even
offerred in the Simple report form.  But it is meant to refer to the
version where the reporter observes the bug or to which the reporter
knows the fix applies.

>    - The version in which the bug is found?
>    - The earliest version to which the bug applies?
>    - The version in which the fix might get delivered?
>    - Something else?
>
> For instance, I recently raised an issue I found in a 3.10 image. I am
> pretty sure the issue will be present in all previous images. It's minor
> so probably doesn't need fixing in older images, just supported and new
> development. I have set the product version to 3.10 as this was the
> image in which I found the issue but am not convinced this is sufficient.

Of course any further comments you may have on this or any other subject
should go in the report or in a note.  Only so much information can be
anticipated by standard fields and apply to a wide enough array of
issues to warrant the field.

> All I could find on the Wiki is:
>
> " Generally, any bug report or bug fix should apply to the latest alpha
> version of the Squeak image (for example, 3.9alpha). If you find a bug
> in the current stable image (e.g. 3.8), you should check to see if the
> bug has been fixed in the latest alpha release before posting a bug
> report/fix. " [1]
>
>    - What is the latest Alpha version and where can I get it?

Well, in any particular instance there will not always be a latest
'Alpha' but certain a latest version of some status.  Currently the
latest, to my knowledge is

http://ftp.squeak.org/3.11/3.10.2bc/

and for the immediate future I expect you will find the latest version
within the 3.11 top-level directory of the FTP site.

>    - What about older but supported images, shouldn't they get the
>      fix too?

I have no argument, but we don't really have a definition of 'supported'
images.  It's up to each release team to decide to issue a new minor bug
fix release or not.  And of course Keith's LPF system allows you to
relatively easily add support loadable via LPF for any version since 3.7
IIRC.

http://installer.pbwiki.com/LevelPlayingField

> - Zulq.
>
> [1] http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/398