Promoting Squeak/Smalltalk

Serge Stinckwich Serge.Stinckwich at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 15:25:45 UTC 2008

Robert F. Scheer a écrit :
> I've only been using Squeak a very short time (for robot main program)
> and would like to continue, however a rather serious limitation for
> robotics is computer vision and numerical methods used for things like
> Kalman and particle filters.  Python, for example, has PIL (Python
> Imaging Library), numPy (numerical methods) and sciPy (scientific
> methods), among others.
>
> http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/
> http://www.scipy.org/
> http://numpy.scipy.org/
>
> These libraries greatly enhance Python for use in technology fields.
>
> I'm too much a novice to venture any opinions on how this point of
> distinction should or could be considered by the Smalltalk community,
> but it's definitely something that will affect me personally and must
> similarly affect others working on robots, electronic instruments,
> scientific experiments and so forth.

You are right, these libraries are necessary if you doing some serious
things with image processing and robots. We are several here using
Smalltalk to control robots, maybe we should share our code and needs.

Search for "robot" in SqueakSource web site, you will found several
existing projects.

Best regards,
--                                                         oooo
Serge Stinckwich                                         OOOOOOOO
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
                                                           oooooo
Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
                                                             ##