[ANN] Open meeting regarding the Squeak Release Team

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Feb 1 23:05:25 UTC 2008

TO ALL:

Just we meet with Matthew and some words with Craig.
I also see Steph and Andreas sending feedback here or in release team list.

It's important we reach some agree for next 3.11.
We only exchange ideas , trying to see the best road to follow.

I repeat my vision.

One day I wish to have a very small and smart thing.
I open workspace and say "Pier" and all loads and I in bussiness.

Maria wish play "DressTheDoll" with Etoys, then she type DressTheDoll (and
the thing only loads the needed to she).

Some talented music (many Squeakers ) choose the last Stephane Rollandin
have and voila, he is doing jazz, tango or Nepal music (and not load Etoys
or Web)

Sure many more examples.

Now we have 3.10 , some just discover could load several things automatic,
some don't know 3.10 lack some packages living outside the base image.

3.11 could cut more packages and load again if needed.

The goal is going closer to MinimalMorphic.
Then to Kernel.
Then to Spoon.

I apologize if Craig or Pavel think different, sure they could explain
better.

The point is if we should start from 3.8.2 (without Traits and Monticello)
or we should continue from 3.10 is now.

The tentative image I put in ftp is only a first prototype idea and was
3.10.

But some believe could have sense do some similar from 3.8.2
Kind of 3.10 without Monticello and Traits.

So we listen all ideas, wait all help.

========
Next meeting is scheduled tomorrow 2 February 2008 on IRC

8:00 Phoenix 16:00 Rosario 13:00 Europa

======