Aida/Web anniversaries

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sat Feb 2 15:23:01 UTC 2008

Hello Germán,

Germán Arduino wrote:

> Contratulations Janko!

Thanks!

> This is a very good new and deserve some reflections:
> 1. The open source really works!

Yep. Even that Aida was open-sourced two years later, in 2000, it was
this action which helped me a lot. Now Aida is developed side by side
with my other commercial products and already by help of community as
well. So a good mixture of open-source and a commercial activity is a
way to go, I think for Squeak too.

> 2. Not need to change the systems each 2 or 3 years (as is the
> interest of most of "big players")

Agreed, but that's easy to understand, those players have a profit out
of such frequent changes.

> 3. A single motivated and smart guy may develop anything comparable
> and better than the products of "big players"

This is a very interesting observation indeed. How much more you as an
individual can actually do comparing to hordes of coders in these big
players. Well, maybe from a commercial viewpoint we are not welcome? At
the end it is somehow more profitable to have a factory of such coders
instead of few dedicated individuals. Strange I know, but looks true.

> 4. "Write your own reflection here" :)

HEre others are invited to join! :)

Best regards
JAnko