[ANN] Open meeting regarding the Squeak Release Team

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Sat Feb 2 16:25:06 UTC 2008

stephane ducasse schrieb:
> Hi egdar
>
> to make sure that I understand that correctly: 3.10 harvested a couple
> of fixes (compared with the 685 mantis
> items marcus closed) and you are telling that 3.11 will in addition
> merge everything and reconcile all the forks.
> This sounds optimistic and not really aligned with the results of
> 3.10. Don't you think?
>
> Now a couple of weeks ago someone sent me this mail
> "Just out of curiosity...
> I wanted to write a mail, along the lines of...
> I looked into the bugs fixed in 3.10... I'm a bit confused, though,
> because there does not seem to be much progress in 3.10 with respect
> to bug fixing. Is Mantis up to date? Is Mantis showing what I think it
> should (I used the date + status filters)?
>
> Below is a comparison of the number of reports for each possible state
> in 3.9 (March 1, 2005 - Sept 30, 2006) and 3.10 (Oct 1, 2006 - today):
> 3.9        3.10     status
> ----------------------------
> 276        254        new
> 19         8        feedback
> 4        1        acknowledged
> 2        3        confirmed
> 70        111     assigned
> 47         10         resolved
> 685        25         closed

I don't know what the outcome of this discussion will be. It has the
potential to annoy many.
Redoing most of the patches of 3.9 and 3.10 seems to be a huge amount of
work.
So there need to be a consensus that the result is worth the efforts.
Are Traits the only show stopper for a unification of Squeak distributions?
If not, what else has to be done?
And last but not least: isn't the unification a contradiction to the
minimal image target?

Regards
Andreas