Aida/Web anniversaries

Nicolas Petton petton.nicolas at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 18:38:20 UTC 2008

Hi,

> My congratulations!
>

> > - 10 years of continuously running Aida/Web application: Gas Billing
> > System (GBS) for our national gas operator, surviving big business
> > changes like country tax system change to VAT, deregulation of EU
> > energy market, split of company to gas trader and gas transport
> > operator, and recently currency change to Euro. It is running on
> > VisualWorks and Gemstone/S;
>
> Interesting expirience. Very good for promotion.
>
> Could you also tell how much objects in it and how big size it is.
> Does it has a long historic data?
>
> I also just looked at the performance comparison with Seaside. Looks
> like AIDA performs twice faster than Seaside.

Yes, at least it was true for Seaside 2.7. Seaside 2.8 has increased the
rendering speed, but Aida is still a lot faster.

> Then it's interesting how AIDA/Web and Seaside compares in development
> time efforts and simplicity, maintainabillity.

I worked with both frameworks. Aida/Web is a lot easier to understand,
and it works "as you expect", there is no surprise. If you need to
manage users, groups and security, Aida is also a very good choice: it's
secure by default, and has a built in complete users and groups
managment.

Both frameworks use components, it's called WebElement in Aida.

About maintainability, I think both frameworks are a good choice.

Another thing, Swazoo is a very good web server, better than Kom IMHO.
But I think Seaside can work with Swazoo too now.

Cheers!

Nicolas

--
Nicolas Petton