Squeak and LGPL

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sun Feb 3 21:23:54 UTC 2008

On 3-Feb-08, at 4:07 AM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Until then, *DO NOT LOOK AT GST*

Gimme a break. Copyright does not protect ideas, only their expression.

Have you ever seen a Hollywood remake of a foreign film? They can do
that because the ideas in a film are not protected by copyright, only
the actual footage. Closer to home, SCO's lawsuit against IBM is dead
in the water, in large part because they couldn't identify actual
source code that had been copied from Unix to Linux and were just
handwaving about "methods and concepts."

The famous "clean room" technique that Phoenix used to reverse
engineer IBM's PC BIOS is a pretty rare case. Smalltalk has a lot more
design latitude than a BIOS, and there aren't billions of dollars at
stake.

I'm all for having Squeak on a solid legal and licensing foundation.
I'm really happy to see the relicensing effort proceeding well, and I
think it will be great for Squeak to have stronger ties to the larger
open source and free software movements. But refusing to examine the
source code of other Smalltalks is just silly.

Colin