Traits or not Traits that is the question

Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 13:24:10 UTC 2008

Although they are research projects, we are doing three things with Traits:
1) Refactorings to go from classes to traits and vice versa
2) Reimplementing the Collection hierarchy
3) SmallLint for Traits

We are not using Traits in our production environment because VisualAge and
GemStone don't have them.
My opinion is that even if we finally realize that Traits are a great tool
(we are not sure yet, aren't we?), it is going to take some time for it to
catch up. Changes in a mature system like Smalltalk take time, much more
time in a diverse community like Squeak.
So, if traits do not bother, just give them a try, let other people play
with them and see if they work. I think we will not loose too much doing so,
but we could loose more not doing it.

Bye,
Hernan.