Complexity and starting over on the JVM

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Feb 5 03:09:55 UTC 2008

On 4-Feb-08, at 6:57 PM, Blake wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 17:44:15 -0800, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>
> wrote:
>
> "Personally I'd map plain shift-- (ie underscore) since
> underscores_have_no_place_in_variable_names."
>
> [checks Bible]
I checked the GFSM and His Noodliness is quoted as exhorting the
massed faithful to eschew underscores since they are not as tasty as
overscores (and why don't have overscores? eh?) and thus worthless in
His Tentacled Eyes

> tim further wrote: "Similarly I'd use ordinary ^ for return on the
> keyboard."
>
> Isn't that the way it works now?
Well yes but I'd have it displayed as the rinky-dink curvy arrow. Just
Because.

> I'm pro-left-arrow because it is completely unambiguous. I'm a long
> time Pascal-er (sticks tongue out at Tim)

I'm a long time ago Pascalier and in fact wrote one of the early solid
modellers in it. All I can say is yeuuuuuuch. Pascal is about as good
an idea as java, but less popular.

> and truth is, when you use the colon-equal for assign, you end up
> mistakenly forgetting the colon.

And we all know that doctor's remind us not to forget our colons. At
least one friend of mine has died from that.

tim
Oxymorons: Government organization