Complexity and starting over on the JVM

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 5 02:52:45 UTC 2008

> And yes, in a new Squeak, backarrow assign should be the first thing to be
> removed from the default image IMHO. :-)
>
> --Paul Fernhout

Dear Paul,

you are ranting.

The reason this has not happened is that people are busy.  I have been
wanting to do this for two years and just havent had time.
Since squeak is open source, if you want something doing... you are as
much invited to improve things as anyone else is.

In the time you have spent writing your long emails you could have
tweaked the parser to enable underscores in methods and variables, AND
still have it available for assignment. Some packages like
Poststress/Gloop already make similar tweaks.

Since you care about it so much, I look forward to seeing what you come
up with

cheers

Keith