Non-interactive package installation

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 17:08:22 UTC 2008

On 05/02/2008, Tom Phoenix <rootbeer at redcat.com> wrote:
> On Feb 5, 2008 7:54 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, the problems is deeper, in my case: any calls to morphic code is
> > not allowed during package installation.
>
> No matter how we write the installation code, it will use *some* class
> that doesn't like getting used while it's getting modified. Still, it
> would be nice if the installation didn't require such high-level
> things as Morphic.
>
> In your situation, I'd try to hack the installation process. It's
> probably just some method displaying a progress indicator, or
> something like that. It should be pretty trivial to identify and
> disable.
>
> I think that's likely to succeed. If you're still stuck, ask again: I
> have other ideas, but none of them are especially easy to do or to
> describe. If you can share a small file that exhibits this
> installation problem, other people (who can thereby replicate the
> problem in their own images) may be able to help you see how to
> install it.

I think i have to revoke my original question:
really, there can be packages with preamble scripts asking user to
choose some default options before continuing with installation, or in
post-amble, or at class initialization.

What is left, i think, is to make sure, that MC (or other installation
tool) should have options for making non-interactive installation (do
everything silently, without showing any progress bars e.t.c), then
packages which don't require any user attention can be installed
without interfering with morphic layer.

Squeak core is too focused on interaction with user. I'd like to see
someday a core functionality detached from UI, so squeak can run
happily in headless mode without need of having Display of any sort.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.