#fork and deterministic resumption of the resulting process

Joshua Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Tue Feb 5 17:10:53 UTC 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 5:47 PM, Joshua Gargus wrote:

>  I'm a little uncomfortable with the notion of not giving processes
> the priority explicitly requested by the programmer.

I obviously didn't read Andreas's proposal closely enough.  With more
than a glance, it is clear that a lower-priority helper process is
used only for a moment to start up the real process at the priority
requested by the user.

The only problem that I can see with the proposal is that under "heavy
load", there may always be a runnable process of higher priority so
that the helper process is starved.  Would this be a problem for
anyone in practice?  You could always work around it this with:

desiredPriority := Processor activePriority.
[worker := [self runWorkerProcess] forkAt: desiredPriority] forkAt:
desiredPriority+1

Josh