Complexity and starting over on the JVM (was Re: Traits or not...)

Laurence Rozier laurence.rozier at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 14:58:50 UTC 2008

On Feb 6, 2008 6:05 AM, Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> stephane ducasse wrote:
> > Hi Dan

> > Excellent. So the problem is squeak in the name? Call it Zork or a
> > bean eating animal like Squirrel and we get done.
> >
> > Stef
> >

> Can someone exlpain why there is a trademark problem with naming
> something "Squeakish"

Given that Squeak's legal status is still being clarified and Disney's role
is part of the discussion, making a strong case for why Sun isn't putting
themselves at risk would be expensive at best. Disney has a reputation for
very effective and aggressive protection of their IP - lawyers everywhere
tread very carefully around them. A Sun IP attorney who wants to keep her
job has to push back on a research project that could potentially(no matter
how remote) step on the lion's tail.

HTH,

Laurence

P.S.
That HP, a Sun competitor is also part of the Squeak IP discussion only adds
to the cost of legal analysis. This is yet another reason why it would be so
valuable for the visible projects to establish an unambiguous definition of
what Squeak is. Even a bare-bones VM and image that required lots of work to
build anything useful from would be better than what we have now.