Squeak on Nokia 800

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Wed Feb 6 18:33:11 UTC 2008

On Feb 5, 2008, at 10:59 PM, subbukk wrote:

> On Tuesday 05 Feb 2008 10:27:32 pm Brian Rice wrote:
>> I have a 770 and would be interested in greater integration
>> possibilities, like use of the hardware buttons which are numbered
>> function keys that Squeak thinks aren't portable enough to support.
> Isn't 770 a little underpowered to run Morphic? Do you have any
> specific
> purpose in mind?

It runs it acceptably well. Bear in mind that I've been running Squeak
on various ARM handheld devices since 1999. I inherited it cheaply
from Aaron Reichow when he got a newer model. For me, it's just a
Squeak machine, especially now that I have an iPhone, whose PIM
capabilities are MUCH more usable. Unfortunately, the latter platform
has been harder to work with so far as a developer.

> Squeak isn't good when it comes to dealing with hardware. There are
> too many
> hardcoded references to PC keyboard layout (like shiftPressed etc.).
> The VM
> needs a plugin to map system-specific keycodes and buttons to soft
> buttons in
> Squeak. Squeak badly needs a soft keyboard.

Sure, that would be a good small step, achievable by even a casual
Squeak user.

--
-Brian
http://briantrice.com