#fork and deterministic resumption of the resulting process

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 20:26:44 UTC 2008

On 2/7/08, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2008, at 0:08 , Michael van der Gulik wrote:
>
> > You should never make any assumptions about the scheduling
> > behaviour of your environment.
>
> Nonsense. Squeak *defines* the scheduling behavior. That's one, maybe
> even *the* major benefit over system threads.

Er... I can't tell if you're joking or if you're serious.

I always write my code under the assumption that some day, in the
future, some bright spark will write a better VM that will run
separate Smalltalk Processes on separate OS processes/threads by
whatever means, thus better utilising multi-cored or multiple CPUs.

When that day comes, my code will run faster and your code will break.

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/