Dynamic protocol performance

Serge Stinckwich Serge.Stinckwich at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 12:08:09 UTC 2008

Zulq Alam a écrit :
> Juan José Evangelista wrote:
>>
>> The first thing that is annoying to me is the progress bar. I think
>> that in this particular case it makes the feel of a more slow
>> function. I make a clik on a class and i see a little window that
>> appear and dissapear. perhaps is better to no show anything.
>>

> I intend to remove this once sufficient improvements have been made. In
> the package I have uploaded it has already been removed to aid testing.
>
>> The other think that I'm thinking, I don't know if it is possible with
>> the OB design, but can you make the calculations in an asynchronic way?
>
> I considered this. Basically, I don't know how to do this with the OB
> infrastructure. Instead I settled for delaying calculation of slow
> protocols until they are clicked on.
>
> For instance, if I browse to Morph in my image I quickly see:
>
> -- long (?) --
> -- uncommented (?) --
> -- debugging (1) --
> -- supplied (?) --
> -- override (43) --
> -- supersend (10) --
> -- local (1213) --
>
> The ?'s indicate that the protocol is slow and has not been calculated
> yet. It will only slow me down if I click on one of them, i.e. if I am
> interested in finding methods which are long, uncommented, supplied or
> required.
>
> If the class is small, say less than 20 selectors, then the protocols
> are calculated as before. This needs some tuning.
>
> As someone who is interested in dynamic protocols, what do you think of
> this?

I think this is the way to go in the right way. The list should be
updated asynchronously when the user is not interacting with the UI.
Maybe, if you click on a dynamic protocol and when the list is very time
consuming to build, the methods should appears progressively.

--
Serge Stinckwich
http://doesnotunderstand.free.fr/