3.10 - Mac OS X Leopard - accent chars and keyboard input

José Luis Redrejo jredrejo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 15:23:32 UTC 2008

Petr, don't waste your time: It just does not work.

A colleague of mine and me have been trying to solve this issue, and talked
with some of the squeak core developers. There have been very few answers
and no one possitive, sometimes they have told me that it worked or it
"should" work, or at least that it worked under OLPC. And it's not true.

I have one OLPC on my desk since some days ago and it does not work in
spanish, this olpc owner is from Germany and he has also tested it doesn't
work on german either.

So, in brief:
- not using UTF-8 encoding worked in the past, but since last year updates
it doesn't work anymore
- using UTF-8 has never worked and it doesn't work now.

I'm afraid vm developers believe it works because composing keys works, but
dead keys do not work and we can not assume that children or teachers will
have to type alt+xxx whenever they want to use an accent.

So, until somebody with enough knowledge works on it, it's broken on any
unix-like vm.

Sorry for the news, but as I said before, I've spent far too much time since
September on this issue and haven't been able to make it work or convinced
any skilled developer to work on it. It seems that, if it works under
english and japanesse, that's enough. I have no idea how do they pretend to
use OLPC with squeak on portuguesse, spanish, french or german spoken
countries....

Regards
José L.