Updating Mantis status

Ben Goetter goetter at mazama.net
Fri Feb 8 10:11:01 UTC 2008

From: Jerome Peace <peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com>
>  Sorry, I've given this a lot of thought which didn't
> fit into the post. This has to do with work flow.

Seconded with a newbie's enthusiasm.

I'm more than a little confused about the Mantis workflow.  As an
example(*), consider http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=3311, where an
individual identifies some lossage in the existing Complex class, then
proposes a replacement class addressing the identified problems.

In every project that I've known before, this would have been accepted
into some build, or else deferred, or else rejected outright.  (By whom?
  By some cabal or benevolent dictator.  All those projects have had
such.)  Instead, this fix has simply sat there, apparently without
comment, for the last two years.

So I don't really see how Mantis works(**).  Yes, there's a place to
report problems.  But do fixes come out of it?  If as part of a project
of mine I can address some open issues therein, will they ever reach the
mainstream?  May I just step in and claim a bug on my own, filing a
suggested fix for it?  Also, if as part of a project of mine I can
factor out some baseline kernel improvements, should I bother proposing
them in Mantis?  Or should I just dump those base-class amendments into
my package and let client handle the merge themselves?  A lot of the
latter takes place right now....

I'm not asking that anything change to accommodate my expectations.  I
just want to understand how to work here.

Cheers,
Ben

--
(*) Okay, I admit, it's not a random example -- I don't know Mantis that
well.  It's an issue that I know and care about.  But I'm not sending

(**) Corollary: I don't really see how Squeak-the-project works.  And
yet, here it is!