[ANN] Open meeting regarding the Squeak Release Team

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Sat Feb 9 20:17:57 UTC 2008

>> You know PHP people implemented stateful traits and apparently some
>> want to push that in the mainstream.
>
> I've read all your papers (at least the ones I found) on traits

there are all on my web pages or on the scg ones.

> and
> stateful traits, but one thing I never saw was: what is the
> fundamental difference between stateful traits and multiple
> inheritance?

conceptually none except that traits are working in the concept of
single inheritance. The point of traits was how can we get the reuse
and expressive power of MI in the simplicity of single inheritance.

About stateful traits, consider what you read as an experiment.
I do not want to push that in squeak or another language. I would like
learn what is really useful and a lot more. This is why we reimplemented
from scratch streams: to see if we really needed "stateful traits" or
any version
of it. I think that stateless traits are quite stable now stateful
traits are introducing
too much operators.... What is important to understand is that this is
not
because we wrote a paper that we like the results :)

Stef