SUnit with too many tests

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 06:14:23 UTC 2008

SUnit with too many tests

Hi Hernan,

Thats great news. Would you be willing to plant this
seed on mantis?

Here are the faq:

FAQ: Is this a known issue ? Where is the place to
report bugs (or check if
some have already been raised) ?

The best place for this info would be to start a
Mantis report. (You can get a mantis acct freely and
easily).

A good place to start is:

http://bugs.squeak.org/my_view_page.php

Mantis provides a patient persistent way to focus on
an issue.
I use it to accumulate data on a problem until a
solution can be found.
It provides a place to alert the community to a
problem;
-accumulate facts and clues from the analysis;
-publish proposed solutions and get feedback;
-get solutions harvested and included into the main
stream.

This FAQ is available at the Squeak wiki site.
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/Mantis%20FAQ%20and%20Tips
aka:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5912
Mantis FAQ and Tips

Yours in service and curiosity, --Jerome Peace

***
>Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at gmail.com
>Mon Feb 11 16:59:11 UTC 2008
>
>Hi,
> I just wanted to share with you that we had problems
running too many tests
>with SUnit because of memory use.
> We have around 15,000 unit tests and while running
them the memory grew
>from 80 megs to 700 megs (we use VisualAge) and
therefore, the machine
>became really slow...
> Anyway, we realized the memory was not freed because
the tests referenced
>objects from their instance variables. Therefore we
added a method that puts
>"nil" in all test's instance variables (but
'selector').
> The amazing thing is that not only running the test
now do not makes the
>image to grow but it takes 50% less time to run them!
So anyway, we are
>happy with that and maybe this change is useful to
other people.
> Here is the code:
>
>TestCase>>runCase
>
>    [self setUp.
>    self performTest] sunitEnsure: [self
tearDown;cleanUpInstanceVariables]

>TestCase>>cleanUpInstanceVariables
>
>    (TestCase allInstVarNames size + 1) to: self
class allInstVarNames size
>do: [ :index | self instVarAt: index put: nil ]
>

>Bye,
>Hernan.
***