DeltaStream/Changesets, a feature request

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Tue Feb 12 15:46:57 UTC 2008

On 12-Feb-08, at 6:42 AM, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 01:22:51PM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> i have some code, which changing methods in different classes, which
>> makes my package working.
>> Currently, to install my package i need to load a separate changeset,
>> and only then load package.
>> What is bad, that changeset get loaded without any options on how
>> modifications should be applied.
>> What i like to see, if i loading changes into new image, a loader
>> should check , if i'm overriding exactly same versions of methods
>> which i changed during my development. So, if there is a version
>> conflict: some of the methods are updated, and my override replaces
>> updated method(s) , i should be notified about that.
>> I just need to be sure, that changes can be applied and will be
>> applied correctly.
>
> Yes. DS already does this. I'm still working on the UI though.

MC2 does this as well, but it's actually more robust than what you
specified.

Instead of overriding specific versions of the methods, your patch
would be applied with reference to the version history. This means
there are 3 possibilities for each method in the changeset:

- Your version of the method supersedes the method already in the
image. This is the case you mention above. MC2 will prefer your version.
- Your version is superseded by the method in the image. This might
happen if some package maintainer incorporates your patch, then
continues development. MC2 will prefer the existing version.
- The method already in the image has been modified since your patch
was created, but doesn't incorporate your patch. MC2 will flag this as
a conflict.

The actual UI involved depends on how the changeset is being loaded.

Colin