Morphs as composition of traits?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Feb 12 17:14:37 UTC 2008

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Indeed. The Tweak developers (which really was just Andreas himself at
> that time) did not advocate general usage of Tweak, because they could
> not do the required support on their own. There was a question like
> "will Tweak become the new UI for Squeak?" and the honest answer had to
> be "we don't know, if someone takes it and *makes* it the next UI then
> sure". But nobody did.

No, I don't think it's fair to say that. There is a mixture of issues
involved: First, Tweak was never polished in any way and it should have
been before a "wide release" but I never found the time which made it
strictly harder than it necessarily had to be (to insert a pseudo
Ballmer-quote here, imagine him shouting "tutorials, tutorials,
tutorials, tutorials" ;-) Second, it was intended as a research project
so I tried a number of ideas that I had been discussing with Alan for
ages. And, as usual, some of them work, some of them don't (and the ones
that don't leave an unpleasant smell). Third, I  just generally don't
feel up to following through on the storm of emails that *any* proposal
for changing the UI framework again would create (personally, I don't
think anyone can really change such fundamental things in Squeak unless
it's either strictly incremental or comes as a fork - and if it's the
latter you're better off if you have a "movable" code base like Seaside
and solve a problem that isn't solved in other dialects either, again
like Seaside). And lastly, changing jobs and changing servers and now
working at a startup which requires 120% of my time isn't exactly
helpful either for finding time to spread the word ;-)

> Tweak is well and alive as part of Croquet, and the Croquet developers
> in general are happy to experiment with new stuff, even if it does not
> follow traditional Smalltalk philosophy. For example, Tweak introduces
> asynchronous message sends, and that indeed causes issues with
> debuggability as mentioned elsewhere. It is used in production, so can't
> be all bad ;) Tweak questions are best posted to the Croquet list nowadays.

Indeed this is probably the best. Tweak is being used in Qwaq's products
  btw, so if you go to www.qwaq.com and check out our new intro you'll
see some Tweak in action.

Cheers,
   - Andreas