HydraTools and minimal images

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Wed Feb 13 06:34:59 UTC 2008

On 12-Feb-08, at 8:03 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> This sounds exactly like what I was looking for. Is their stuff
> available to look at for learning how to integrate such a mechanism?
> I'm not interested in any of their proprietary IP just in learning
> how you hook this together in OB. Any other examples?

I believe they use FFI to call out to a C library (called "gci") that
implements the low-level communications with Gemstone. The code is
publicly available here:

http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/

In particular, see the GemStone Tools project.

Another thing to look at is OB-Web. It's less "remote" than the
Gemstone or Spoon approach, in that the class browser runs in-image
rather than remotely. What *is* remote are the widgets. They're
implemented in Javascript and run in Safari or Firefox, communicating
with the image via AJAX. It's available from the repository below, but
has some dependencies - let me know if you want to play with it.

http://source.wiresong.ca/ob

Colin