Any Squeakers into CFD? - Possible job...

Danilo danilo at impara.de
Wed Feb 13 09:50:43 UTC 2008

Dan Ingalls schrieb:
>> ... that's Computational Fluid Dynamics.  I'm specifically interested in running a Navier-Stokes simulation using something like the Volume of Fluid model to deal with free surface movement.  My first goal is to be able to duplicate something like the following simulation of a breaking wave:
>>
>> 	http://www.coastal.udel.edu/faculty/jpuleo/RIPPLE/ripple.mov
>>
>> I want to be able to run similar simulations for waves breaking against different shaped walls.
>>
>> Most people use big programs in C or Fortran (!), and half the trouble is learning how to use them, since there's no prayer of changing them. However the basic equations can be written in half a page, and I don't need it to run very fast.
>>
>> It could be fun but so far it looks like it will be simpler to build a wave tank :-(.
>>

> I'm getting more serious about this.  As a point of reference I did build a wave tank...
>
> 	http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joRv6aiST3s
>
> It's fun to build stuff (and I now have a 300-pound structure in my driveway waiting for the next time when the tide is right), but I would still like to be able to do some simulations, even if only in 2D at first.
>
> I have a feeling that if one understands the basic equations, plus the volume-of-fluid method for the surface and other boundaries (as in http://www.math.rug.nl/~veldman/preprints/ECCOMAS2004.pdf), it wouldn't take more than a couple of pages of Squeak, and it might even fit the StarSqueak or Kedama framework as suggested by Jecel.
>
> Sadly I have only personal funds to work with at this point  but, if someone thought they could duplicate, eg, the little ripple.mov above in a few pages of Squeak, I'd pay real money for it, and maybe more for future experiments.  Let me know if this appeals to you and perhaps we can negotiate some sort of agreement.
>
> 	- Dan

During my master thesis, I have experimented a bit with fluid
visualization using Marching Cubes algorithm in squeak.
http://www.gaguls.de/danilo/downloads/PlayfulAnimation_low.pdf   (page 51)

The simulation where particle based, but I get more and more interested
to do fluid simulation using Navier Strokes algorithm. My personal
interest is visualization and the interest in how it works.
I simply did not found the time yet. I can inform you, when I have time
for it. Maybe we find a way to cooperate.

Danilo