HydraTools and minimal images

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Feb 14 12:44:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 02:16:25PM -0800, Craig Latta wrote:

> > Since the basic development process is in place (load alternative
> > images, send commands, save the result) I was thinking about the next
> > steps and it occurred to me that having a set of tools that can
> > operate on another image would be tremendously useful. Not only for
> > development inside Hydra but also for some of the people out there
> > trying to create smaller images.
> >
> > With a set of HydraTools you should be able to for example, rip out
> > *all* of the UIs and tools that exist in an image, fix up the result
> > and be able to try loading the UI framework from first principles.
>
>      I've done that with Spoon, with separate VMs communicating over a
> proxy system that uses sockets. It would be interesting to extend the
> proxy system to use Hydra's channels (some form of inter-thread
> communication I assume, I haven't looked at the Hydra implementation yet).

I'm not actively involved with either HydraVM or Spoon (not enough hours
in the day), but the synergy seems clear. It would be very interesting
if some of Spoon's features could be available in a HydraVM and vice
versa. Also, any cooperation would expand the audience for both projects
considerably.

Dave