HydraTools and minimal images

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Thu Feb 14 19:45:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:19:33 +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> What can i say? Only that you are real guru in metaprogramming, and
> i'm lacking in expertise to deal with this task.

Thank you, but that's too much for this grey-bearded OM :) Don't forget,
you made Hydra going :)

> I never got so deep under the hood to have need in creating a block
> contexts, or using #ifCurtailed: methods.

#ifCurtailed: is only needed if you cannot do ([]ensure: []), etc, for
whatever reason, with HydraSMS. Will try to avoid them if (if!) possible.

> Maybe it would be less confusing for me, from a start, if methods
> names would be #remotelyDo: , #locallyDo:..

Now in Huston there's a problem: both #atHomeDo: and #atWorkDo: never
result in #locallyDo: ...

> I'm working at home, about a 2 years till now, so there is no real
> difference for me between #atHomeDo: and #atWorkDo: :)

LOL :)

> In general, i finally understood your idea. But due to my lack of
> practice (and knowledge) in uber-metaprogramming i don't think i will
> be capable do that without help :)

We can find a meeting point somewhere between us, I'm sure we can :) You
know why? it's Smalltalk :)

> What i can currently do, is provide an implementation of reliable
> bidirectional communication. The rest, i hope you can do yourself.

If I had a wish free: when you begin with reliable bidirectional
communication please use, for the public part, the vocabulary which is
present in Socket's message categories #open, #queries, #receiving,
#sending and #waiting. Please.

See, SocketStream is a user of Socket, so G"oran would have a wonderful
SocketStream work-free weekend :-D

> Orr.. if you prototype most of meta-crunching stuff and point me out
> what places i should add to make it live.

I will meet you there, could start by populating subclasses which extend
your Hydra channel classes, like

  SocketLikeHydraReceivingChannel
  SocketLikeHydraSendingChannel

and then we can see how far this gets us up to a meeting point :)

/Klaus

P.S. please now switch to offline email, unless you don't fear that we get
moderated :)