What's the interrupt key on a French Mac keyboard?

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 16 23:47:25 UTC 2008

What's the interrupt key on a French Mac keyboard?

I thought I worked on this once.

(* wiz pauses to search "Cmd-." on mantis)

Yep. Serge did a fix which I tweaked.
Fix was added to 3.9.

Luckily Mantis remembers everything:

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=2135
keyboard layout

Hth,

Yours in service and curiosity, --Jerome Peace

***
>John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
>Sat Feb 16 18:39:12 UTC 2008

French Mac keyboard?
[ author ]

>Historically the interrupt key was special in older
pre OS-X operating
>systems.
>
>When we migrated to event driven keyboard input in
the VM about  8
>years back we switch
>just to providing the keyboard data to the smalltalk
code. This is
>processed in
>

>EventSensor>>processEvent: evt
>	"Process a single event. This method is run at high
priority."
>	| type |
>	type _ evt at: 1.
>
>	"Check if the event is a user interrupt"
>	(type = EventTypeKeyboard and:[(evt at: 4) = 0 and:[
>		((evt at: 3) bitOr: ((evt at: 5) bitShift: 8)) =
interruptKey]])
>			 ifTrue:["interrupt key is meta - not reported as
event"
>					^interruptSemaphore signal].
>,,,
>
>and we have
>initialize
>	"Initialize the receiver"
>	mouseButtons := 0.
>	mousePosition := 0 @ 0.
>	keyboardBuffer := SharedQueue new.
>	self setInterruptKey: (interruptKey ifNil: [$.
asciiValue bitOr:
>16r0800 ]). 	"cmd-."
>	interruptSemaphore := (Smalltalk specialObjectsArray
at: 31) ifNil:
>[Semaphore new].
>	self flushAllButDandDEvents.
>	inputSemaphore := Semaphore new.
>	hasInputSemaphore := false.
>

>where we use the setInterruptKey: to set the
interruptKey value.  For
>historical reasons this
>also sets the keycode and semaphore in the VM. If a
newer VM works
>with an image from 10 years back it
>interacts with the class InputSensor and signals the

>interruptSemaphore when a cmd-. is pressed,
>or actually whatever the setInterruptKey: was set to.
>
>In looking I saw this old email
>Serge.Stinckwich at info.unicaen.fr
>October 24, 2005 9:49:40 AM PDT (CA)
>> Here is a changeset to allow to use the shift key
for the Cmd-.
>> I test it with the french and american keyboard.
>> Could people with different keyboard layout
(belgian, spanish, ...)
>> could also test this changeset ?
>>
>> Thanks you,
>>
>> --
       oooo
>> Dr. Serge Stinckwich
     OOOOOOOO
>> Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD
     OOESUGOO
>> http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich
      oooooo
>> Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love:
it)]   \  /

       ##

#6665] on 24
>> October 2005 at 6:42:13 pm'!
>>
>> !EventSensor methodsFor: 'private-I/O' stamp: 'zz
10/24/2005 18:41'!
>> processEvent: evt
>> 	"Process a single event. This method is run at
high priority."
>> 	| type |
>> 	type := evt at: 1.
>>
>> 	"Check if the event is a user interrupt"
>> 	(type = EventTypeKeyboard and:[(evt at: 4) = 0
and:[
>> 		((evt at: 3) bitOr: (((evt at: 5) bitAnd:8)
bitShift: 8)) =

at gmx.de> wrote:

>>> It's a weird question but we just got it ;-) Since
the period
>>> appears to
>>> be a shifted symbol it seems that pressing
Cmd-Shift-Period doesn't
>>> result in a user interrupt? If anyone knows the
answer I'd
>>> appreciate it.
>>
>> The more I study this issue, the more confused I
get. As I understand
>> things, the key sequence for canceling an operation
in progress on Mac
>> OS X is supposed to be Command + period, including
the shift key if
>> that's what's needed. But I also hear that there's
been much confusion
>> among application developers, so some people with
French AZERTY
>> keyboards use Command + / in some applications. It
may be that you've
>> found a bug in the VM, but at the moment I can't
find an up-to-date
>> reference on Apple's site that says how this is
supposed to be done.

>> This response wouldn't be complete if I didn't
remind you to check
>> that the cmdDotEnabled preference item is enabled
in your image.

http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com
>=
***