Problem with HydraPing and FFI [was: Problem with Hydra's startUp]

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 11:09:14 UTC 2008

On 17/02/2008, Klaus D. Witzel <klaus.witzel at cobss.com> wrote:
> HydraPing depends on methods which are provided by FFI, but FFI is no
> longer in stock .images (which I'm using as all the Squeakers do ;-) So
> HydraPing DNUs on #unsignedLongAt:put:, but there are other messages in
> the #'platform independent access' category of ByteArray which can do what
> you want HydraPing to do.
>
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:38:23 +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
> > On 17/02/2008, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> >> An .image with the HydraVM-sig.8 package loaded does not startUp on a
> >> non-Hydra VM.
> > My fault, i forgot to check loading HydraVM package under non-Hydra VM.
> >
> > Currently I doing major rewrite of checkForInterrupts() and all is
> > what around it.
>
> Did you consider the performance comparision which someone asked about,
> over in squeak-vm list?

you mean mentioned 10-20% speed loss?
It's an impartial drawback of objectification, there's little what we
can do about this.
I didn't putted benchmarks in public, but i measured them.
- microBenchmarks shows about 5% bytecode crunching speed loss
- macroBenchmarks (there are 4 of different macro benchmarks which
Andreas gave me) showing about 10% speed loss on my box, interesting
that of them runs faster, without any reason :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.