Squeak 3.9.1...

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ofset.org
Tue Feb 19 08:59:03 UTC 2008

Stephane,

I test it, it looks ok, and it is smaller right?

Will Damien prepare a squeak-dev image based on it?

In a previous email, you wrote about removing most of Etoys, Moprhic,
Nebraska, Speech,...
Can we hope the next version of squeak.org to be much smaller and
expendable thought loadable package?
I am definitively a buyer of it, I need for my own project to have
custom Squeak plugin and I don't need all these stuffs.

If we look at Python and how it is successful: a small core strickly
maintained by Guido, then a lot of external module maintained by third
party. Of course Guido can take the freedom to not care much about
compatibility with the module, it is the responsability of the package
maintainer to make their package compatible with successive Python
version.

I think if you remove most of Squeak unused stuff, people interested by
those packages will automatically take ownership of these ones (or
eventually those packages will die, but after all this free software
rule, "evolve or die")

Can we hope Squeak follow such a successful path?

Hilaire