UML Modelling?

itsme213 itsme213 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 19 18:29:44 UTC 2008

"Trygve Reenskaug" <trygver at ifi.uio.no> wrote in message

btw, I get various errors loading BabySRE in Squeak 3.9.

> My next step is to code the methods as Traits, thereby further loosening
> the binding between role and object/class.

I wonder how far Traits can help. An object can play the same role in two
different collaborations e.g. I am a Programmer in project p1, and also in
project p2. One would like to apply the same Programmer trait twice, with
the option of having separate (class-based) state for each of p1 and p2. I
don't think this is possible with Traits.

Traits use unimplemented self-calls as "required methods" to (among other
things) access such state. However, you cannot parameterize these required
methods (you can rename provided methods, but not required methods which
would need some kind of automatic code generation/re-writing of intermediate
traits).

I am hoping to get Damien's or Stephane's insights on this.
http://www.nabble.com/A-Traits-question-td15484148.html

Do you think you will hit this limitation? Or does your intended usage avoid
this issue?

Thanks!

Sophie