to mailmail list administrators

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 16:34:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 08:04:33AM -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:
> This is to mailmail list admins, or anyone that can help.
>
> I'm getting spam from ui-owner at lists.squeakfoundation.org, which I am
> the admin. I can't remember how I configured mailman to forward me
> spam (I guess it's from non-members). I'd like to stop this and
> discard the spam, but I believe we talked about this before and there
> is no easy way.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm now rcving spam from:
>
>   seaside-owner at lists.squeakfoundation.org
>   flow-owner at lists.squeakfoundation.org
>
> as well.
>
> and I might have been rcving spam from other lists. Any
> recommendations on how to discard spam at mailman? Or why I would be
> getting mail from other lists as owner?

You should get bounce notifications if you are the list owner or
a moderator, and it is your responsibility to sort out the
problems from the spam. This doesn't take much time if done
right. I own two mailing lists, here's how I do it:

- All mail to *-owner at lists.squeakfoundation.org goes to a
  squeak.listadmin folder
- I check this folder about once every two weeks
- I scan through the 4000 or so emails that piled up, seeking
  out valid requests. This takes about 30 mins. Usually, I don't
  find any
- I then go to the mailman moderator page and delete all queued
  messages, except for the valid ones I found.

All in all, only takes about an hour every two weeks.

I may set up spamassassain so that bounces will be spam-rated
and I can scan even faster, but I havn't done this yet