to mailmail list administrators

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 17:00:33 UTC 2008

On Feb 20, 2008 8:34 AM, Matthew Fulmer <tapplek at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 08:04:33AM -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:
> > This is to mailmail list admins, or anyone that can help.
> >
> > I'm getting spam from ui-owner at lists.squeakfoundation.org, which I am
> > the admin. I can't remember how I configured mailman to forward me
> > spam (I guess it's from non-members). I'd like to stop this and
> > discard the spam, but I believe we talked about this before and there
> > is no easy way.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I'm now rcving spam from:
> >
> >   seaside-owner at lists.squeakfoundation.org
> >   flow-owner at lists.squeakfoundation.org
> >
> > as well.
> >
> > and I might have been rcving spam from other lists. Any
> > recommendations on how to discard spam at mailman? Or why I would be
> > getting mail from other lists as owner?
>
> You should get bounce notifications if you are the list owner or
> a moderator, and it is your responsibility to sort out the
> problems from the spam. This doesn't take much time if done
> right. I own two mailing lists, here's how I do it:
>
> - All mail to *-owner at lists.squeakfoundation.org goes to a
>   squeak.listadmin folder
> - I check this folder about once every two weeks
> - I scan through the 4000 or so emails that piled up, seeking
>   out valid requests. This takes about 30 mins. Usually, I don't
>   find any
> - I then go to the mailman moderator page and delete all queued
>   messages, except for the valid ones I found.

Right, I've always reviewed the email that is forwarded to me as admin.
I don't _think_ I'm referring to bounce messages (to clarify: messages
that have been returned to mailman from a member), unless the spammer
finagles mailman to send me the msg by spoofing the sender.

What folder are you speaking of when you say: