Building VM from source on 64Bit Gentoo

John Thornborrow john at pinesoft.co.uk
Thu Feb 21 11:56:46 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm trying to build a VM from source on my 64Bit Gentoo machine.

I've not made any changes to the config or plugins, and I'm not really
sure if I should do anything with those, either.

I've followed the readme (README file) and the VM builds OK, but
whenever I try to perform any task that involves using Sockets, the
image bombs, with the error "Segmentation fault" on the CLI (and nothing
 else.)

The steps I followed are:

cd /usr/local
svn co http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/ squeak-svn
cd squeak-svn/platforms/unix
make
sudo make install
cd ~/squeaky_bits
squeak my-squeak-image.image

(Then, as an example, I open Universes Browser, click update from
network and the image/vm is killed)

Any help/guidance much appreciated :)

John

Pinesoft Computers are registered in England, Registered number: 2914825. Registered office: 266-268 High Street, Waltham Cross, Herts, EN8 7EA