[squeak-dev] Re: install TraitsBrowser?

Nicolai Hess nicolaihess at web.de
Thu Feb 21 14:43:08 UTC 2008

Nicolai,
> Is it easy for you to give me a file that I can install as a starting point for my own work? That would save me from digging into OmniBrowser and Traits classes before I know I need them.
> Cheers
> --Trygve
>

> On 19.02.2008 11:42, Nicolai Hess wrote:
>  Thank you for your quick answer.
> So, no chance to get this browser for current traitsimplementation.
> I wrote a small "traitsbrowser" based on omnibrowser-framework. It is
> a really cool framework, just some lines of code to get a browser to show all traits, which classes and traits using this trait and all selectors
> per class or used trait.
> But it seems that omnibrowser is basically usable for browsing and editing in a single
> place. For refactoring or traitsbased development, it lacks the possiblity to have multiple views of different classes, and for example a side-by-side
> lists of class selectors to better compare two class structures.
> And the navigation pane can only show on "path".
> Especially to compare class selectors and a traits "interface" it would
> be good to view this side-by-side. Or to see the trait or another class "growing" while
> refactoring methods out from one class there.
> I know there is an extension for omnibrowser with multiple views. But this
> views are again for one single class. Nicolai

Hello Trygve,

I don't know how useful it is, but maybe it helps.

As I wrote, it is only a simple Browser. I wrote this to become familiar with smalltalk.
I found the Omnibrowser interesting (maybe you already know there is a paper
"Meta-Driven Browsers" describing this framework).

It wasn't my intention to write a browser like it is described in "Traits: Tools and Methodology".

I tried to see which traits are there and where are they used.
So, when you open this browser with "TraitsBrowser open", you see five panes.

The first shows you all Traits in the image.
In the second pane you can select Classes Or Traits to see which "uses" this Trait.
The third pane let you select this class or the used Traits, to see his selectors.
A simple Filter colors selectors red, when conflicting, blue when this is an explicit requirement
and green when this method is implemented and a requirement of one the used Traits.

Nicolai

Unbegrenzter Speicherplatz für Ihr E-Mail Postfach? Jetzt aktivieren!
http://www.digitaledienste.web.de/freemail/club/lp/?lp=7