[squeak-dev] Re: Bitblt>>copyBits

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 15:09:36 UTC 2008

On 21/02/2008, Craig Latta <craig at netjam.org> wrote:

>   > > > there is virtually impossible to strip image to prevent it from
>   > > > using BitBlt/morphic.
>   > >
>   > > I've done it, it's actually not that hard.
>   >
>   > Using automated process, and by taking any image?
>

>       Yes and yes. I load code into the subject image for remote
>  messaging, and use a VM which keeps track of which methods have been
>  run, and with a garbage collector that doesn't mark methods which
>  haven't been run. From a remote image, I invoke the GC in the subject
>  image and all but about 300k of it falls away in one fell swoop.

Yes, i know this. But to determine what is garbage and what is not it
requires running some code, and this, in own turn means some user
involvement.
Please, don't take me wrong, i very like this feature of Spoon and it
would be good to integrate it into HydraVM, so you don't need to run
code via simulator, and will be allowed to run it in already started,
live image and then do GC.
And by guessing your next statement about simulator :) : yes, in
future,  VM code should be refactored to run with simulator.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.