[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Fri Feb 22 01:35:48 UTC 2008

I must say, this is a really impressive development.  I really think this is
the right way to approach multi-core systems.
At work, we have a highly distributed system (some customers are running as
many as 50 nodes with a mix of VW and C++ processes on each).  Occassionally
some of our people in the field or customers complain that any one process
isn't taking advantage of the multi-core architectures they run on.  After
reminding them that in fact we are using those CPUs because we are running
many processes on those nodes, we also highlight the fact that our C++
component, which utilizes many threads (in a retrospectively naive way),
actually degrades in performance when you drop it onto a multi-core machine
(and it degrades badly).  All those highly active threads contending for the
same shared memory isn't quite so good.  ;)

- Stephen