[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 01:45:43 UTC 2008

On 22/02/2008, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22/02/2008, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
>  > Stephen Pair wrote:
>  >  > How does one start a second image (or does it do this automatically
>  >  > based on the number of cores)?
>  >
>  >
>  > Load the HydraVM package and execute:
>  >
>  >    HydraVM saveAsHeadlessImage: 'core.image'
>  >
>  >  This will save the current image in a form ready for loading it in the
>  >  background. When you've saved it, start it via:
>  >
>  >    HydraVM loadAndRunNewImage: 'core.image'
>  >
>  >
>  >  > On my machine, it seems to run ok for about a minute or so and then
>  >  > freeze up (this is on a Windows XP core duo machine).
>  >
>  >
>  > Interesting. Others have mentioned the same effect. I'm using a slightly
>  >  older version of the VM which seems a little more stable (but I know
>  >  Igor is looking into the problem).
>  >

> This was introduced due to my latest changes. Sorry guys i didn't meant that. :)
>  I had freezing problems on my own PC, and did some fixes to eliminate
>  that before releasing an update. As it turned out, something in
>  environment (Windows?) causing VM to freeze, because i tested same
>  images and with same VM binaries and it worked just fine on my PC.

I'm just tested 3.9 final image + HydraVM on other PC i have at my
disposal. No freezing.

So, it looks like that without external help i will be unable to deal
with this problem fast.
If someone, who experiencing freezing, could provide me a VNC
connection, so i can try to figure out what is wrong.
Is there anyone who could help me with that?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.