[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 12:17:38 UTC 2008

On 22/02/2008, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Stephen Pair wrote:
>  > I must say, this is a really impressive development.  I really think
>  > this is the right way to approach multi-core systems.
>

> I agree. It's a stronger model than shared-state concurrency because you
>  model sets of objects (which is natural for the environment we're in).
>  The next step needs to be a set of tools that we can use to create
>  really small "worker images" (maybe 100k or less). At which point we not
>  only have the ability to, say, fork a few hundred of those (and take
>  care of Intels NextGen 80+ core CPUs ;-) but also get the minimal images
>  so many people are craving for and be able to load different versions of
>  code side-by-side and get a module system for free. Pretty exciting stuff.

In this respect, i think, best would be to incorporate Spoon features to VM.
As i understand (Craig, correct me if i'm wrong), a Spoon VM changes
are incremental and not breaking any compatibility.
So, it would be only better to have this technology at hands, which
will enable to make small or even tiny images without much efforts.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.