[squeak-dev] Hydra VM: large memory support?

stephan at stack.nl stephan at stack.nl
Fri Feb 22 13:03:26 UTC 2008

Igor Wrote:
> Are you talking about porting VM to support 64 bit platform, or only
> concerned about running 32bit VM on 64bit platform?
>
> In anyway, it requires some investigation. But not by me :) ,
> currently,  i don't have 64bit PC at my disposal.

I would want to run say 8 1GByte 32-bits images. That's currently
EUR 134 at my local shop.

Dvae wrote:
> Some of the issues are summarized here:
> http://www.squeakvm.org/squeak64/faq.html
>
> I have not looked at Hydra VM yet, but I see no reason why it should
> create any new issues with respect to 64 bit machines or 64 bit images.

I would hope there would be less issues running multiple 32-bits images
concurrently on a 64 bit machine.

One of the remarks on the faq is strange:
> Why isn't there an officially-released 64-bit image?
>    Lack of interest: most people don't need a 64-bit image.

There are lots of problems where people want to make a
space/time/development-time trade-off. 70 Euros worth of space
is a silly limit.

Stephan