[squeak-dev] The "correct" approach to multi-core systems.

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Sat Feb 23 15:37:54 UTC 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 4:43 AM, Michael van der Gulik <mikevdg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Well... we'll revisit this when we actually have a VM capable of running a
> single image on multiple threads.

Michael, people here are just trying to help you save a whole lot of work.
 There is educational value in the work, but you really do need to think
about both process affinity and concurrent access to shared memory.  Both
are equally important (at least for today's architectures).  Intel's manuals
are all online, all you have to do is read them to get an idea about the
cost of concurrent access to shared memory.

- Stephen